Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crocheted Knitting Bag-- WHY??

It is rainy and cold here in Texas today. I was having a little trouble getting started on the potholder set I am working on  this morning, so I decided to look through some old crochet books (I love looking through them.)
Anyway, I was flipping through an old Star pattern book (no year given, but it is #116, looks like from the 50's.) 
And on page 4, I found this:
A Crocheted Knitting Bag. Hmm...
I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it does. Wouldn't you think  it would be a "Crocheted Crocheting Bag?" If you knit and needed a bag, wouldn't you make a "Knitted Knitting Bag"? Or is that just being redundant? I know there are all those clever people out there who know how to do both: maybe this is just a way for them to show off their multiple talents.
Anyway, this is not the first time I have  run across something like this; there seems to be a lot of this kind of pattern  out there. And every time I see one of them I have the same reaction; it just makes me crazy.
But, it doesn't bother me as much as the crochet designer I know of who had her picture printed on the back of her "Ultimate Crochet Book," wearing a hand knit (knitted?) sweater.
Now I ask you, if you went to all the trouble to write a crochet book and were going to have your picture taken for the cover, wouldn't you be sure to wear a crocheted sweater? So that everyone could see how good you are, and what great designs must be in the book? Wouldn't that make more sense?
Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, the doily in the picture is also an old Star design and I love it, so I guess I will have to forgive them this time.

4 comments:

KeKe said...

I dont know how you do it Ann, but they sure are pretty!!

I hope it warms up there soon!!

crochethuahua said...

That is odd wearing a knitted sweater for a picture on a crochet book! It reminds me of those women's magazines that have huge headlines on the cover touting a new diet they have found and then there is also something about a chocolate cake recipe on the front cover with a huge picture of it too!

DandiCreations said...

You are funny Ann. You sound just like me when I have an issue with something. lol
You are absolutely right. It doesn't make any sense.

Diana

Unknown said...

LOL! You are a crack up! :)