Thursday, February 19, 2009

Knitting makes you beautiful (and Crochet does, too!!!)


I love old Workbasket magazines. They are absolute treasure troves of wonderful old patterns, recipes, and gardening tips. Last summer, I bought a box full of them off ebay. I got almost a complete set ranging from 1950 to 1959. What a wonderful glimpse into the past they give! I wish I had the time to sit down and just read them all from cover to cover. As it is, I take them out at odd moments and flip through them, stopping to read whatever catches my fancy; "Oh look, an article on over-wintering geraniums;" "Hey, here is a really cool little crocheted potholder;" and "I wonder if this recipe for spiced apple cake is the same one my Aunt Eunie used to make?" 

Anyway, last weekend I got them out and started flipping through them. I was looking for crochet patterns when this page caught my eye: Wow, how cool is that? This is an ad for Lees Columbia, Miverva, & Beehive Yarns, in the April 1954 issue. The text reads:
"A beauty treatment from the inside out? And from the outside in, too! Psychologists now assure us of something you have always known. Relaxation makes you beautiful! And what is more relaxing than knitting or crocheting with Columbia- Minerva and Beehive Yarns? Wherever you are- on a train, plane, boat, or watching TV- improve each shining hour by making something lovely- with those Heavenly Yarns by Lees."'
I am so glad they mentioned crochet, even if it is buried in the text. And I love the phrase "improve each shining hour." The next time one of my kids calls and asks me "What are you doing?" (even though they know I will  answer the same way I always do - "Crocheting!") I am going to tell them, "I am improving each shining hour by making something lovely."
I am sure they won't be a bit surprised; they already think I am nuts.

2 comments:

crochethuahua said...

I love Work Basket, too. I have some from the 1940's at my summer lake house.

KeKe said...

It's great isn't it? The "home arts" are making a comeback...(Though to me they never went out of style)! ;)

Hope you;re having a great day!