Friday, February 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mama


This is my mother, Joann Loftis, in 1976. This picture was taken the night I graduated from high school.
Today she would have been 68 years old. But we lost her 6 years ago. She was an amazing woman; she got married when she was 15 years old, had me and my brother when she was still a teenager, and yet she managed to raise a happy, loving family, work her way up in the county government, be active in community service and maintain innumerable friendships. She was the Administrative Assistant to the county judge for many years (and heaven help anyone who called her his "secretary.") She was smart and funny, an awesome cook and she could crochet circles around me. She was my inspiration, my number one fan and my best friend. She still is.
She also smoked from the time she was a teenager, and so even though I am a major live-and-let-live kind of person, I hate cigarettes and I want everyone who smokes to quit. It breaks my heart that some of my nearest and dearest still smoke, and I celebrate and praise those who have managed to quit (a big pat on the back and a hug for you, especially, Robyn!)
Mama, me, baby Robyn and my Daddy, Paul on May 26, 1976

Happy Birthday Mama. I love you and I miss you everyday.

5 comments:

crochethuahua said...

Your mother sounds like she was a very good woman. She was very pretty!
My Mom is 71 but I lost my Daddy Dec. 15, 2006 at the age of 74 and my world hasn't been the same since. It's like I'm lost.

Anonymous said...

She was beautiful and strong...miss her lots. I sure do wish she could be here to knock some heads around! Really there's about a thousand reasons I wish she was here, but head knocking's what we need right now. Beautiful post, I love you too Mama.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post mama, we love you and can't wait to see you again. keep up the good work.

Lane said...

We all miss her so much. I can't think of anyone as adept at getting to the heart of a problem and telling you exactly how to make it better (whether it was what you wanted to hear or not). She was the one everyone turned to, because we all knew she could fix any problem.

She was also (among many other things) the best gardener I have ever met. I think the thing I miss most is spending time helping her work on her flower beds. Either that, or making pumpkin pies with her.

linda said...

I graduated May 23, 1976.
LMM