Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We're not dead yet!!!!

It happens to me all the time; does it ever happen to you?
I went to get my hair cut this morning -without an appointment, and the lady who usually cuts my hair was not there. We are leaving on a trip Thursday, so I really wanted to get it done today. So I said I would be more than happy to let another lady in the salon give me a hair cut. She was very sweet, and after she shampooed me, got me settled in the chair, and we agreed on the cut I wanted, she started chatting. "So, what do you do?" she asked.
"I am a crochet designer" I said.
"Crochet? Like making blankets and stuff?" she asked.
"Well, sort of, but I usually make things out of thread," I told her.
"Thread?" she said- I could tell she didn't have a clue as to what I meant.
"Do you know what a doily is?" I asked, "That is the kind of thing I do."
"Oh, okay!" she said "My Grandmother used to do stuff like that."
"Here it comes," I thought, and I was right.
"It is so cool that you do that," she said. "That is really a dying art!"
I smiled, like I always do; I cannot tell you how many times I have been told crochet is a "dying art" and almost invariably this statement is made by a person who has no idea which end of a crochet hook is up.
I personally think crochet is very much alive and doing well. There seem to be more and more crocheters all the time. But maybe I am out of touch with the "real world."
But let me ask you; do people ever say this to you? Do you have a clever (but polite!) response to this statement?
Because I know everytime I pull out my crochet work in public, some well meaning person is going to go out of their way to tell me how my beloved art is doomed, done for, on it's last leg. And I really wish I had a good response to tell them otherwise.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I work at JoAnn Fabric, so even in a store that sells crochet hooks, a limited supply of thread and doily books, I get the same thing...I smile and say I'm a thread artist.he... he....which you truly are!

Dawn said...

That comment has been made to me sooooooo many times as I sit and watch our son play baseball; or pass the time when our daughter is in her violin lesson. I have even brought my crochet to faculty meetings and joke to my husband & kids that I could easily pull it out during the sermon while in church *grin*!

As for a witty response -- I don't really have one. Love the 'thread artist' response and can't wait to read what others say.

Unknown said...

Oh! I just have had this conversation TWICE over the last two days...only take out the word "crochet" and insert "Tatting", LOL!

Tatting is a THRIVING art!

You could say the same of crochet. :)

crochethuahua said...

I have heard it many times. Some clueless people ask me what I'm "knitting" Next time they say crochet is a dying art hand them the most recent Annie's Attic catalogue and say, "Oh, I didn't know it's a dying art!" lol

Have a great time on your trip!

Anonymous said...

I have never been told it was a dying art, just an "old-fashioned" one, which really steams me up. I smile through gritted teeth and listen to them say how they thought crochet was only good for afghans, and knitting is the "hip" thing. I have nothing gainst knitting, but I am and always will be a crocheter. :-)

Ann said...

Jill: I like that, "Thread Artist" I might just say that next time!

Dawn: Maybe if you took your crochet to church you could say you are working on a prayer shawl, lol!

Tatting Chic: I'll bet you DO hear that a lot! I like the "thriving" idea, I may use that too!

Crochethuahua: Yes, I have been asked many times what I am "knitting!" Maybe I should stick a catalog in my purse!

Cher: Don't you just love all the "Not your Grandmother's Crochet" advertising gimicks? I only wish I was as talented as our "Grandmothers" of crochet were! I learned to knit a few years ago,and I have great respect for all knitters, but it is just not my native talent; I will always think like a crocheter!
And I don't understand why there has to be this controversy over kniting vs. crocheting. They are both wonderful, but totally different arts (at least in my mind!)