Saturday, December 12, 2009

Little Gingerbread Boy and Girl; a free crochet pattern for you


Are you ready for Christmas yet? I am almost finished with my shopping, I have the tree up and the decorating done, my cards went out a couple of weeks ago-so I guess I am as ready as I am going get.
But there are still a few things left to do, like baking cookies! Every year my grandchildren and I get together for a day of baking and decorating cookies- I look forward to it all year! We usually choose easy recipes, and put most of our time into decorating them. Truthfully, I am much better at crocheting than I am at baking!
So with that in mind, I decided to design a little crocheted gingerbread boy and girl as my second gift pattern to you this year. I think they turned out really cute!
The pattern is fairly easy; I wanted to make it all in one piece, but couldn't get it to look right. In this pattern, you only have to fasten off 0nce, so it is still pretty quick to make. Just like my real cookies, I spent much more time decorating them than I did actually making them! They are made with size 3 cotton; you can make them with 2 strands of size 10 thread held together as one if you cannot find size 3.


Gingerbread Boy and Girl Ornaments
by Elizabeth Ann White
for BellaCrochet

Size: About 2 1/2” long
Skill level: Intermediate
Materials:
25 yards brown size 3 cotton crochet thread (Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread in Copper Mist was used for models)
10 yards white size 3 cotton crochet thread (for Girl's Skirt and mouths)
Scraps of red size 10 cotton crochet thread (for Bows)
Four 4mm white glass beads (for Eyes)
Six 4mm red glass beads
Fabric Glue
Toothpick for applying glue
Fray Check (available in the sewing department)
Heavy spray starch
Size 00 (3.5mm) Steel hook
Special Stitch:
For 2 tr cluster: (yo 2 times, insert hook in st or sp indicated, yo, pull hook through, yo, work off 2 loops, yo, work off next 2 loops) 2 times, yo, work off all 3 loops on hook

Rnd 1: With brown, starting at head, ch 4, 11 dc in 4th ch from hook, join with sl st in top of ch-4. (First 3 chs count as first dc; 12 dc made. Right side of first round is right side of work.)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each of first 3 sts; leaving remaining sts unworked, turn. (3 sc made)

Row 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in each st across, turn. (6 sc made)

Row 4: For first Arm, (ch 4, 2 tr cluster-see Special Stitch-, ch 4, sl st) in first st, sc in each of next 4 sts;  for second Arm, (sl st, ch 4, 2 tr cluster, ch 4, sl st) in last st, do not turn. Fasten off.

Row 5: For Body, working in the 4-sc sts between Arms on Row 4, with right side facing, join with sc in first st, sc in same st as joining, sc in each of next 2 sts, 2 sc in last st, turn. (6 sc made)

Rows 6- 8 : Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.

Row 9: Ch 4, (2 tr cluster, ch 4) in second st, sl st in next st, (sl st, ch 4) in next st, (2 tr cluster, ch 4) in next st, sl st in last st. Fasten off.

For Girl's Skirt, with white size 3 cotton, ch 5, dc in 5th ch from hook, (ch 1, dc in same ch that the first dc was worked in) 4 times. Fasten off.

Finishing
Note: When gluing, it is helpful to place a small drop of glue to the end of a toothpick; this will allow you to apply the glue more precisely.

1: Place all crocheted pieces on a blocking surface; spray with heavy starch; shape and allow to dry.

2: Tie two small bows from red thread.

3: Glue white beads to Gingerbread Boy and Girl for eyes. Allow to dry.

4: Cut two small scraps of white thread for mouths. Touch ends of thread with Fray Check to prevent raveling. Allow to dry.

5: Glue white thread to Gingerbread Boy and Girl for mouths. Allow to dry.

6: Glue Skirt to Girl. Glue red beads to bodies. Glue bows as shown in photo. Allow all to dry. Glue ends of a folded 8" strand of red thread to back of head for hanger, if desired.
"Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" "The Gingerbread Boy" was my son Sammy's favorite story when he was a little boy.


What a sweet little girl! I think I will call her 'Ginger'; maybe the boy can be 'Snap'?

I hope you will enjoy the pattern. Merry Christmas!

Copyright BellaCrochet 2009.  All rights reserved. Please do not distribute or post this pattern on any website, group or page; please share the Link to this page only. 

A Note from Ann: If you like this pattern, I hope you will check out my other free patterns:

27 comments:

Jette Marie Andersen said...

Thank you for sharing theese cute ginger breads. They are adorable.

Faith said...

Oh these are so cute....Have a very Merry Christmas & happy Baking.....

Ann said...

You are welcome, Jette Marie! I hope you will enjoy them.

I know we will have lots of fun baking, anyway, Faith! Merry Christmas to you,too.

Barbara said...

Such a cute pattern..Thanks!

Ann said...

You are welcome, Barb!

RaggedyKisses said...

Oh these are so CUTE!!!! Cute Alert!!!!! I just love them!!! **Dances around the room***!!!

I love Gingies!!! Can you tell?????

Ann said...

Thank you Anne! I love them, too, and I am glad you like them.

DandiCreations said...

Adorable Ann. Thanks for sharing with us. We love you too.

Diana

Ana Luisa said...

too cute! Thanks for sharing, and hope you have fun baking cookies.
I've got allthe decorations up, even the Christmas village. (phew!)

crochethuahua said...

They look good enough to eat! Thanks for the pattern, Ann.

Ann said...

Thank you, Diana! You know how I value your opinion of my designs.

I'll bet your village is beautiful, Ana Luisa! I would love to have one to go on my mantel.

They probably taste about as good as one of my gingerbread cookies does, Crochethuahua! I am definately not Martha Stewart when it comes to baking!

Anabel Luna said...

I love ginger boy and girl , they are so cute specially for this season.I'm living in Texas too,love to crochet and share all my patterns and ideas .I'm inviting you to have a short trip to my blog .Thanks and Happy Holidays !!!


Hugs ,

Luna

Ann said...

I am glad you like them, Luna! I love the little tea set on your blog; it is adorable!
Merry Christmas!

Mrs Twins said...

I just love Gingerbread if you visit my Christmas Gingerbread set on Flickr you will see. I just adore them. These are great little people. Thanks for putting the pattern on!
Hugs and Love Suex

Ann said...

Your gingerbread set is adorable, Sue! I especially love the Angel and the Swags.

Beansieleigh said...

These are ADORABLE, Ann!!! I would LOVE to make these! It has been such a long time, since recently moving AND settling in, that I could even pick up a crochet hook yet.. I really do miss it. I have a tree that I hang just my crochet ornaments on, and these would be so sweet to make for this year.. and fairly quick, for the amount of time I even have left to make them! Thank you for sharing the pattern! This is my first time here, so it's very nice to meet you! Hope this finds you and yours well and enjoying the holiday season! ~tina

Ann said...

Hi Tina,
I am glad you found my little blog! These really are quick to make, I hope you will have fun with them.
It is nice to meet you, too!

Sidsel said...

Oh,thanks so much for sharing these cute boy and girl..So charming,regards Sidsel,Norway :o)

Ann said...

You are welcome, Sidsel! I am glad you like them.

Unique2wh0 said...

Yay!! Your pattern is on the the Daily Crocheter for free pattern of the day site :-)I was like Hey I know HER!! LOL~
http://www.dailycrocheter.com/day.php

Annie from Queens, NY said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! Every year, I crochet ornaments to put into my Christmas cards to send to all my friends and family, and I've been looking for a good gingerbread man ornament pattern for ages! (Gingerbread cookies are kind of my specialty each Christmas, so I wanted an ornament to go with it.) I actually bought the same thread you used before I even found your pattern--I guess I was being hopeful that I'd find a good pattern (or I'd have to design one myself - AUGHH)--and then I found yours. Many thanks to you, and Merry Christmas in July!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

These gingerbreads are adorable! Thank you for sharing this pattern!

Henriette said...

Thank you for your lovely patterns ♥
I have just made a little and a big gingerbread.
You are welkom to take a look http://handmadebyhenriette.blogspot.com/2011/11/sadan.html

Unknown said...

The cute little gingerbread ornaments are the best I have seen. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern!! Merry Christmas 2012 :-)

TT (Twice Transplanted) said...

Exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks so much for sharing these adorable little 'folks.' :-)

TT (Twice Transplanted) said...

Exactly what I've been looking for; even the perfect size. Thanks, so much, for sharing these adorable 'folks.'

January 28, 2013

Anonymous said...

Hi, thank you for the pattern. When you work row 1-4 then finish off. Flip it upside down and it's a deer face with ears. Just add white chains for antlers, eyes and nose(red) :)