Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Hardest Thing I Ever Designed

I got an email from a sweet lady the other day, telling me that she had enjoyed making several of my designs, even though some of them had been challenging for her. She then asked, "what would you say is the most difficult thing you have ever designed?"
I thought about the Butterflies and Roses Pineapple Doilies, and the little Bag Holder Lady I did several years ago.
Both feature pineapples, which seem to make designing and pattern writing more difficult for me.
I thought  about the Celtic Rose Decorative Potholders, with their hundreds of increases and decreases:

And as far as time consuming projects, it would have to be my Cherokee Rose Tablecloth:

But even though these designs were challenging, I knew what the answer had to be.

The Swan Queen Centerpiece.

I worked on this design for about 3 months, trying to get her just right. I had seen an old crocheted swan in an antique shop years ago, and wanted to make my own version. I wished a thousand times that I had bought the old one, even though it was falling apart, just so I would have some kind of reference. I have since seen old mail order patterns for crocheted swans. But I wanted to create my own, and add Irish Roses and leaves to one side, like an old Lefton swan vase I have.
This was back before I was using testers, so I agonized over writing the pattern. Pineapples are notoriously hard for me to write, but I love them so much!
Several people have told me that they have won blue ribbons with this design; it is certainly eye-catching. On the other hand, I saw a comment on Pintrest the other day, wondering why on earth anyone would want to make such a thing.
But for those of us who love thread crochet and enjoy a challenge, I think it is the perfect project. I display mine in a cabinet in my office where I can look at while I work. I will probably never make another one, but I am so glad that I took the time to make this one.
It may have been hard to make, but I think it was worth it.
What was the hardest crochet project you ever made?

10 comments:

crochethuahua said...

It does look hard to make but it is lovely! I don't have the patience to make a tablecloth, though.

Nicknackparlor said...

The first time I tried to crochet from a pattern for a stuff clown. The clown was suppose to be 18" tall ending up being over 48".

CrochetBlogger said...

All beautiful work. I'd never seen your Celtic design before and really love that one!

Charlotte said...

People who do not crochet with thread do not understand the beauty of it. I love crocheting with thread and have a hard time pinpointing one project that was hard. All are hard if you are not interested or determined to not let it beat you. I guess the hardest would be making the tiny rounds like the swans neck.

Deborah Hamilton said...

The swan is absolutely beautiful.

I made a centerpiece doily last year which turned out big enough to be a small tablecloth. It wasn't terribly difficult but it took a long time and just under 1,000 yards of thread. I understand what you mean when you say you wouldn't make another one but you're glad you made one. I love my centerpiece, but I don't know if I have patience to devote that much time to a project again.

Anonymous said...

Your swan queen is a masterpiece indeed! All of your work is unbelievable. I so enjoy looking at every bit of it. Happy Monday!

BeautifulDees said...

In awe at your talent girl...i love your blog and your crochet.
Very beautiful.
Love,Debbie:)

Anonymous said...

All of it is absolutely beautiful. I don't know how you do it. I know what design you are talking about as my grandmother made a crocheted swan many many years ago. I remember it sitting on her antique sideboard for years and years. I watched her clean and starch it once and have been afraid ever since to starch anything.

Mindy said...

Wow! Intricate!! That is some incredible work! Very beautiful.

Gramma Rita said...

Just wanted to stop by and tell you I have given you the versatile blogger award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up. (If you don't do these types of things...that's fine...at least you know I enjoy your blog) :)
www.grammaritascrochetetc.com