Monday, May 25, 2009

Size 3 Thread Substitution


I got a question yesterday from a customer in Australia who had purchased my "English Country Cottage Cozy." She wanted to know what the UK or Australian equivalents to size 3 and size 10 cotton are (both are used to make the Cottage.)
Yikes! I had no idea what to tell her, so I quickly did some research, which unfortunately, was not much help. I did find out, on a site called "Crochet Australia," that our size 10 is the same as UK and Australian size 10. But I could not find any info on the size 3.
I remembered hearing once that 2 strands of size 10 cotton are the equivalent of size 3. So I decided to make a couple of swatches. Here is what I came up with:

The pink swatch is 2 strands of size 10 held together as one. The white is size 3. Both swatches were worked with the same size 0 steel hook.

I think they are close enough to say the two strands of size 10 make an acceptable substitution for size 3 (at least for this pattern, where gauge is not critical.) They are actually even closer in size than they appear in the picture. When I place one on top of the other they are almost identical; the pink is just a hair smaller.

But does anyone know where I can find the information on crochet thread size equivalencies for America, UK and Australia? I have sold several patterns to customers in other countries, and I want to be able to help them if needed.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Sorry, Ann, I don't have the answer to your question, but the little house is adorable! That's interesting information about the two strands of 10 equaling 3. Thank you. A good way to make a two color 10.

crochethuahua said...

That cottage is so cute!

It looks as if the two strands of size 10 are the same as size 3.

KeKe said...

That is adorable!!!! :)

My Crafty Cottage said...

Ann, I've awarded you the "One Lovely Blog" Award! Stop by my blog and grab the button.
Blessings,
Kim

MaggieNZ said...

I am so relieved to find your info for No. 3 substitute as I have to order my crochet thread out of NZ as I live in the wopwops!
Am interested in your blogs so will follow them now having found you

Maggie NZ

Unknown said...

I was searching EVERYWHERE! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! This info is extremely valuable to me especially now, im making booties have tons of #10 but needed #3, i went to 10 other sites no one had anything remotely near as informative. Struck gold finding you, im definitely doing 2strands together and absolutely bookmarking your page and following from now on. Love it!