Thursday, April 30, 2009

Granny's May Day Basket: A Free Crochet Pattern for You


I have always loved the idea of May Baskets; sweet little baskets filled with spring flowers that are meant to be hung on the door of friends and loved ones early on the first day of May as a pleasant surprise. But having lived in the country most of my life, with friends and loved ones several miles away, I have never had much of an opportunity to give them away.
But today I am going to make up for all the missed May Day baskets in my past by giving all of you this sweet and easy little basket (at least the pattern for it).
If you know how to make granny squares, this will be a snap for you, and if you have never made a granny square, this is a good project to learn on.
You will need about 50 yards of the main color, and about 10 yards of the trim color. I am using Aunt Lydia's size 10 cotton, in Copper Mist and Cream, and a size 7 hook. Rnd 1: Ch 6, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring;
Ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 2; (3 dc, ch 2) 3 times in ring, join with sl st in top of ch-3. Rnd 2: Sl st into first ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in first ch sp; (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in each ch-2 sp around, join with sl st in top of ch-3.

Rnd 3: Sl st into first ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in first ch sp, (3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-1 sp, *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-2 sp, (3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-1 sp; repeat from * around, join.
Now, here is the easy way to do this; just remember that at the beginning of each round you are going to sl st across to the first ch-2 sp (first corner) and work (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1); this is the begining corner;
you will work a block of (3 dc, ch 1) in each ch-1 space,
and in each ch-2 space at the corners you will work a corner of (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1).
Work in this manner, starting with a beginning corner, working a block in each ch-1 space and a corner in each corner space (and joining at the end of each round) until you have 10 rounds completed. Fasten off. 10 Rounds completed. Fold the square diagonally. Join the accent color with a sc in the ch-2 sp at the bottom (in the corner space). Matching up the ch-1 sps on both sides, and working through both thicknesses as one, *ch 3, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch sp; repeat from * 6 more times. Now working in one side only, *ch 3, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch sp; repeat from * once more, then ch 3. In ch-2 sp at corner, work (sc, ch 3, sc, ch 5, sc, ch 3, sc)- I call this a fleur de lis picot- now work a ch 3, and continue to the work edging as established; (sc, ch 3, sc, ch 3) in each ch-1 space and (sc, ch 3, sc, ch 5, sc, ch 3, sc, ch 3) in each corner. When you get back around to the last sc that was worked through both thicknesses, join with a sl st in that sc, and fasten off. Weave an 18" piece of ribbon through the top of the basket and tie it in a bow. You can slip another piece of ribbon through the back of the bow for hanging if you want to. Add flowers as desired (I have used silk flowers, but I think fresh- from-the-garden posies would be so sweet!)
The finished basket is about 8" long, not counting the hanging ribbon.
This is a quick and easy project, perfect when you need a gift in a hurry. I can see them used as wedding decorations, given as a Mother's Day present, or as a cheerful gift for a shut in. I am going to hang mine on my bedpost.
It would also be cute made in Christmas colors and hung on a Christmas tree (filled with candy!)
And now, the legal stuff: This free pattern is copyrighted by BellaCrochet, 2009. Please do not copy or distribute it in any form. Please share the link only to this pattern. 
If you enjoy this pattern, I hope you will check out all of my other free patterns:


The contest ends tonight; I have everything all boxed up and ready to go. I am so anxious to see who wins! I will announce the winner in the morning. Good luck!

20 comments:

Lane said...

Very pretty, as always.

Bethany said...

This one is very pretty.

BarbaraCrochetStudio said...

Ann,
So simple and so wonderful idea!
It looks very pretty.
Thanks for sharing. :)
Barbara

Keri Haynes said...

Ann, Thank you for the wonderful pattern!! So sweet to give. I can't wait to make this!!

vicki mashburn said...

hi ann~! *** great pattern*** The basket idea is so pretty~ I want to Thank- you~ For sharing it! You know all ready I love all your designs, I buy them all every time you put one out~ I look for yours~! Thank you~ Vicki Mashburn

Amanda said...

I am going to make this for my mother for Mother's Day.

KeKe said...

This is cute~

crochethuahua said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Sônia Pb said...

i loved that..... i never tryed a square before but i will do this one... thank you for sharing it.
Sônia

Anonymous said...

thank you for your pattern, I have made 2 for friends many

Lia said...

A very, very nice thing, this one!

crochetbymsa said...

Thanks Ann for the lovely gift idea, Happy May Day & Happy Mother's Day!

Maryann

dickletn said...

This is a nice little gift, I have made these and they come out great.
Thanks, Janet

Sherri said...

Ann,
I just finished my second one, Im going to give one to my mom and the other to my sister for Mothers Day.
Thanks for the sweet gift idea.
Sherri

memelamara said...

Waw I love it

Created For You And Me said...

Hi Ann
It's a lovely edging pattern for a granny square motif, i love the edging pattern and have used it on this granny square poncho I am working on. I will post a picture of the baby poncho once I take a picture of it.

do drop by and visit my blog

Anonymous said...

I just love your patters I am going to make my mom one and my daughter one thanks for sharing them I am so glad I came across this site because your patters are so pretty

Liz

Unknown said...

Really lovely thank you for sharing the pattern :D I'm really pleased with how mine turned out.

dickletn said...

These are so pretty, I have one on my dresser now. Easy to crochet also. Hope everyone enjoys as much I do.

Lenora said...

Beautiful. Will be making for church occasions